You will be wondering what is sciatic nerve pain? First of all, you should understand what a sciatic nerve is. The nerve roots that come out of the spinal cord into the lower back form the sciatic nerve. The irritation of these nerve roots leading to the sciatic nerve produces numbness, pain or tingling which is called sciatica. The picture below gives an idea of the location of the nerve and the cause of sciatic nerve pain.
shreveportThe symptoms include pain beginning in your buttock or back, moving down your leg. The pain may also be experienced in your foot. It can be worse than back pain. You would be glad to know that there are effective ways by which it can be treated. Some of these ways are described below.
1. Muscle Relaxers & Pain RelieversThe pain can be eased to an extent by taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Rx or OTC (ibuprofen).
2. SurgeryIf you have continuous pain for 4-6 weeks, then, surgery is recommended. It will definitely decrease the disability after 3 months.
3. Chiropractic Spinal AdjustmentsPeople who don’t prefer surgery usually go for this treatment. It involves a short, rapid thrust which creates a response in the nervous system to reduce the pain.
4. Physical ActivityIt’s very difficult to exercise when in pain. But, don’t avoid movement altogether and just lie on bed. Do some light exercises regularly or consult a physical therapist.
5. AcupunctureWarming acupuncture helps a lot. Improvement can be seen after taking as many as 10-12 sessions. Targeting specific pathways by using tiny and pain free needles will give you relief.
6. MassageTrigger-point therapy is particularly beneficial. It improves blood circulation thus, relieving you of the pain.
7. Heating Pads Or Ice PackWe all use hot water bags to reduce back pain. It can be helpful here too. You can even use the heating pads that need to be plugged in. But, use them for 15-20 minutes maximum in one go and re-apply them every few hours. For some, applying an ice pack on the painful area works too.
8. YogaIt improves flexibility and helps you develop a good posture. They use it often in rehabilitation settings.
9. Steroid InjectionsThese are given in the lower back near the sciatic nerve for immediate relief. But, there is a limit set to how many injections you can take in a year as they have side effects when taken in excess.
10. Lessen The InflammationAlways eat nutrient-rich diets. Avoid smoking and drugs. They have healing effects. Following these will loosen the muscles.
Follow these tips to prevent your sciatic nerve pain from becoming chronic and taxing.