Common cold and cough is something that none of us can avoid. Especially, in winters these become quite prevalent. However, it’s not always advisable to go for over the counter medications and cough syrups lest it is severe. Here are 10 home remedies that can be beneficial in reducing your cold and cough.
1. Saline Water GargleThis is an old practice. Add a pinch of salt and also little turmeric to lukewarm water and gargle to get instant relief.
2. Warm Water & Lime JuiceBoil a glass of water. Make it warm. Make nimbu pani and add a spoon of honey to it. It will make you feel better.
3. Cooked GarlicFry a few cloves of garlic in ghee and eat them. Though they may taste bitter because of the warmth but, they fight cold and cough to a great extent.
4. AmlaIt’s well-known as an immunomodulator. If taken regularly, then, it can definitely prevent the onset of cough and cold.
5. Ginger TeaIt helps you get relief from running nose which is undoubtedly the most irritating experience. Ginger soothes the respiratory tract by expelling phlegm.
6. Carrot JuiceThough it’s not something commonly recommended at homes but, it works a lot in reducing the cough.
7. Honey & Basil LeafBasil leaves have antibiotic and anti-bacterial properties. Honey keeps the body warm. So, take 1 spoon of honey with 3 basil leaves in empty stomach. It reduces the cold and cough and prevents it from recurring. Even, having bitter gourd in food helps a great deal in reducing cold.
8. Hot Water VapourMany people go for it. It gives you relief from blocked nose and even decreases the headache associated.
9. Turmeric MilkNo matter how much you hate it, but, you definitely can’t deny the fact that it works the best in reducing the uneasiness due to cold.
10. Masala ChaiAdd black pepper, tulsi and ginger to your tea. These spices reduce the effects of cold to a great exent.
Home remedies are easy to prepare and natural. They are beneficial in boosting immunity and cleansing the system. But, if you find your cough and cold to be severe and not going away for days together, it’s always recommended to consult a doctor.