Pranayama is breathing exercise. Having control over and regulating your breath is what it is all about. It is effective in preventing an array of health issues. Mostly, pranayama is considered to be a part of yoga. It consists of simple breathing exercises. Here are 7 pranayama exercises that you can do at home.
1. KapalbhatiFolding your legs, sit on the floor. Your spine should be kept straight and eyes must be closed. Left palm should be on the left knee and right palm should be on the right knee. Inhale deeply and exhale with full force such that your stomach goes deep inside. Repeat for 5 minutes. Then, from the groin area, lift the muscle. Hold onto this position for as much time as you can and then, breathe in deeply to release it. Repeat it for 2-5 minutes.
2. Anulom-VilomSit on a flat ground (preferably) or chair. Be comfortable. Close the right nostril with the help of the right thumb and breathe in through the left nostril. Use your middle and ring finger to close the left nostril and exhale from the right nostril. Inhale deeply with right nostril then, close it and exhale through left nostril. Repeat for 5-10 minutes.
3. PranavSit in Vajrasana, Padmasana or Sukhasana. Breathe as normally as you do. Concentrate as you breathe in and breathe out. Practice for 3 minutes.
4. BhastrikaSit on a flat ground (preferably) or chair. Be comfortable. Inhale deeply through both the nostrils. Then, exhale completely. Repeat this for 2-5 minutes.
5. UdgeethSit in a relaxed posture. Inhale deeply and then, exhale completely. But, here the duration of inhaling and exhaling should be long. Repeat the entire procedure for 5-10 minutes.
6. BhramariSit straight in the Sukhasana or Padmasana position. Use your thumb to press the tragus. Index fingers should be placed on the forehead and close your eyes with the remaining fingers. Breathe in through both the nostrils deeply and gradually. Exhale by keeping your mouth closed. Repeat for 3-5 minutes.
7. BahyaStart with the Siddhasana or Padmasana pose. Breathe in deeply and breathe out completely. Holding your breath try touching your chin to the chest. Pull your stomach in and up under the rib cage so that the back and stomach touch each other from the inside.
In all of these exercises as you breathe in or inhale imagine taking in only positivity and as you breathe out or exhale imagine giving your impurities.