We are all familiar with Mahabharata. Some of the main characters of the epic inspire us. However, there are some other characters who are important but, haven’t been talked about much. Here are 10 such characters.
1. EklavyaThe prince of Nishada who was refused to be taught how to use Dhanush Ban by Dronacharya. Eklavya learnt on his own and became better than Arjuna and Dronacharya asked his (Eklavya’s) thumb as the fees from Arjuna which he (Arjuna) cut and gave.
2. ShalyaThe king of Madra. For fighting against the Pandavas in Mahabharata, Duryodhan had kept him by his side. Yudhishtira killed him.
3. AhilavatiShe was also known as the Nag Kanya.
4. GhatotkachHis father Bhim was a human and mother Hidimba was a witch so, Ghatotkach possessed both the qualities. He was married to Ahilavati.
5. BarbareekThe son of Ahilavati and Ghatotkach was actually a yaksha reincarnated as a human.
6. VajraHe was the son of Anirudh and the grandson of Krishna.
7. YuyutsuHe was the son of Dhritrashtra and princess Saivali. He was the only Kaurava alive after the Mahabharata and went on to become the king of Indraprastha.
8. JarasandhHe was the king of Magadh and was killed by Bhim. First when Bhim killed him into two parts, both the parts joined and he became alive. Later on the advice of Krishna, Bhim attacked his body in the centre and all the parts flew away in different directions and couldn’t rejoin.
9. ShikhandiBorn as an impotent to Panchal Naresh Drupad, he was by the Pandavas side in the war and was made as a shield by Arjuna while killing Bhishma pitamaha.
10. VikarnaHe was one among the 100 Kaurava sons of Gandhari and Dhritrashtra. He was the only Kaurava who had raised his voice against Draupadi’s cheer haran.
Even though these characters of the Mahabharata are less known but, their contributions can’t be undermined.