In the origin of epics, Ramayan is the first ever in the world. It speaks a lot about our culture. There are many characters in this vast epic. Here are a few lesser known characters from Ramayana.
1. AngadaSon of Tara and Bali, he was one of the messengers sent to Lanka by Rama.
2. GuhanThe ruler of the Nishada tribe, he appears in the epic during the exile life of Rama, Sita and Laxman. He was the one who helped them to cross the river Sarayu.
3. MantharaOne of Kaikeyi’s maids, she came up in the Ramayana few times. The story would have been very different without her presence in Dasaratha’s palace.
4. SutikshnaHe was Rama’s devotee. He appears in the story just after Rama visits the Sarabhanga Ashram.
5. ShabariShe had unconditional devotion towards Rama. This older ascetic woman achieved the ultimate Moksha as Rama arrived.
6. SampathiHe was the elder brother of Jadayu. He played an important role in finding Sita.
7. ViradhaHe was a monster (Rakshasa).
8. KabandhaHe was another monster and Rama freed him from a curse.
9. SumantraHe was one of the main ministers of King Dasaratha. He had many brief mentions in the Ramayana. He was very soft-spoken and honest. He played a major role in pacifying Lord Rama during his babyhood. Just before the exile life of Rama, Sita and Laxman began, he drove them outside the kingdom.
10. KharaHe was the king of the Danda kingdom. He was a terrific man-eating monster. Surpanakha was his sister and Ravana his brother. He was killed by Rama and Laxman.
Getting familiarized with all the characters of Ramayana is indeed tough. These characters had a vital role in the Ramayana.