Mahatma Gandhi is the Father of the nation. He led our country to freedom. He did a lot for the country. Here are 12 things which every Indian should know about Mahatma Gandhi.
1. He Was Absent During Nehru’s Tryst Of Destiny SpeechThis was for celebrating independence. Gandhiji was at Kolkata during that time fasting, to achieve religious harmony.
2. His English Had An Irish AccentThis is because an Irishman was one of his first teachers.
3. He Earned Usd 15000 A Year During His Time In South AfricaThis is equal to Rs. 9.25 lakhs per annum.
4. He Received Nominations For The Noble Peace Prize Five TimesPeople thought that he would receive it in 1948 but, he was assassinated early that year in January and Noble prizes are not awarded posthumously.
5. A Set Of False Teeth Were Carried By Him In His Loin ClothThey were only taken out during meal times.
6. He Corresponded With Many PeopleThis includes the likes of Hitler, Leo Tolstoy and Einstein.
7. Steve Jobs Was His FanJobs’ round glasses are a tribute to Gandhiji.
8. He Learned How To Play The Violin And Dancing While Studying In EnglandBut, he chose to give them up later and lead a simple lifestyle.
9. Bapu Had Many Other Names TooHe was popularly called in his school as Moniya.
10. His Birth Was On A Friday And Death TooCoincidentally, India even received independence on a Friday!
11. October 2nd, His Birthday Is Recognized By The United NationsIt’s also celebrated as the International Day of Non-Violence.
12. His Handwriting Was Very BadHe was extremely bothered about it.
Mahatma Gandhi’s life is an inspiration. He correctly said “Live as if you were to die tomorrow”.