History often repeats itself through various tenets. One such trope is assassination of famous political leaders and personalities. There have been various cases of public killing in the world history, starting from Abraham Lincoln to Mahatma Gandhi.
Let's have a look at some of the famous assassinations which shook the entire world with it's news.
1. John F. KennedyOn November 22, 1973, John F. Kennedy- the President of the United States fell prey to an assassination which gave rise to one of the greatest mysteries of all time. The event took place around 12:30 in the afternoon when Kennedy was riding in his presidential limousine with his wife, Jacqueline Kennedy, John Connally - a Governor and his wife. The video footage shows Kennedy being injured by one shot, followed by the final shot, which hits his head, causing a fatal effect. The shooter, identified as Lee Harvey Oswald, was killed by Jack Ruby, even before he made any confessions. It is rumoured that there were two gun men in the scene, but there was no proof to it. The incident stumped American history. The conspirators of the case are still unknown to the FBI. Multiple conspiracy theories originated.
2. Mahatma GandhiMahatma Gandhi, the father of our nation, was also assassinated on 30th January,1948, in Gandhi Smriti, New Delhi. The perpetrator was Nathuram Vinayak Godse. He was a member of the Hindu volunteer organisation, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS.) After five unsuccessful previous attempts, Gandhi was finally assassinated when he was walking down the steps after the prayer meetings. Godse emerged out of the gathering and shot three bullets. The motive behind the assassination was Godse’s revolt against the partition of India and Pakistan, and the sufferings caused by it. He wanted to take revenge for all the tolerant Hindus.Godse was given capital punishment a year later.
3. Benazir BhuttoThe twice serving Prime Minister of Pakistan and erstwhile leader of the Pakistan People's Party, Benazir Bhutto was assassinated on 27th December, 2007, in Rawalpindi, Pakistan. Bhutto was preparing for the elections coming up, and hosted a campaign for the same, when she was fatally injured. The attack killed not only Bhutto, but others at the site as well when a suicide bomber exploded. Shots were targeted at Bhutto, after which a suicide bomber near her vehicle exploded. It is said that Bhutto's death was caused by a head injury when she leaned and hit her head at the sunroof of the vehicle.The assassination was done by a group named Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan. Rumour is, Bhutto, anticipated her attack beforehand and asked for extra protection from some British security organisation. However, they were not given visas by the Pakistani officials, resulting in Bhutto's ill fate.
4. Martin Luther King JrThe eminent civil rights leader , Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated at a hotel, in Memphis, Tennessee. The assassinator, identified as James Earl Ray, was accused of the crime. Ray had rented a room just across the street and shot King when he was out on the balcony. He shot King at one of his cheeks, which ultimately injured his arteries. King immediately fell off the balcony. Ray was absconding for two months , after which he was caught at the Heathrow airport in London. On hearing the sound of the shot, Abernathy, his companion in the motel room, rushes to find King fatally collapsed on the ground. He was immediately rushed to the nearest hospital, consequently, declared dead. Martin Luther King Jr was a great leader. He was even awarded the Nobel peace prize, as he resorted to non-violence in his leadership.
5. Indira GandhiThe first woman prime minister of India, Indira Gandhi, was assassinated after the Operation Blue Star happened. She was attacked by both her bodyguards, Beant Singh and Satwant Singh. The event took place on 31st October when at her residence in Safdargunj road, New Delhi. She was about to go for an interview to a neighbouring residential house in the morning. Bodyguard Beant Singh fired shots at her abdominal area, after which Satwant Singh started firing, following which she collapsed to the ground. Ten hours later, the news arrived and people were informed. Beant Singh was killed immediately by some officers. Satwant Singh was later hanged. The assassination was caused due to the assault of the Golden temple, which caused great unrest in the minds of the Sikhs. After her death, many Sikhs were tortured and attacked in response.
6. Abraham LincolnLastly, comes the first President of the United States to be assassinated, Abraham Lincoln. He was assassinated while watching a play- Our American Cousin, at the Ford's theatre in Washington DC. He was shot by a famous actor, John Wilkes Booth. On April 14, 1865, Lincoln came to watch the play as promised to his hosts. Lincoln was watching the play along with his wife, Mary Lincoln, in a separate box reserved for him. It is said that Booth planned the entire thing after he heard that the President is coming to watch the play. He got through the secret doorway which led to Lincoln's sitting compartment, and shot him in the head with his weapon named Philadelphia Derringer. Lincoln was totally unaware of Booth arriving as he was laughing and enjoying the play before being shot.
These assassinations stumped the entire world history. It is intrinsically linked with politics. As long as politics exists, assassinations will exist, no matter how deadly or shocking it is. The ignition point of the World War I was also an assassination - such is it's power!