Time and again we have heard that men and women are equal. It’s the obvious biological differences that make both men and women distinct. But, there are certain fundamental differences in Psychology between men and women too. Here are 10 common differences between a man and woman's psychology.
1. Response to stressMen take the ‘fight-and-flight’ approach to deal with stress while women take the ‘tend-and-befriend’ approach. Women tend to seek social support more than men.
2. Pink is for girlsThough there have been a lot of advertisements in this regard lately claiming girls love blue as much as pink but, it would be wrong to deny that the socialization process for girls takes place with the introduction of the concept of femininity quite early in their lives. There is a certain way a girl is supposed to behave in a society.
3. Blue is for boysJust like pink is the colour of girls, blue is meant for the boys. This is how the concept of masculinity is introduced which is a social construct.
4. Women are good at communicating skillsWomen are good at interpersonal skills. So, they can communicate better with other people and maintain close friendships for a long time.
5. Men often look within themselvesSo, men are good at intrapersonal skills. This in turn helps them to manage stress well and adapt with the environment.
6. Men have good orientation skillsMen tend to perform better than women in spatially related tasks. This is because their amygdala and parietal cortex are larger.
7. Men are more logicalMen don’t get attached emotionally often. They always look practically at an issue at hand. Showing emotions by men has been treated as their sign of weakness.
8. Women are more emotionalThe social learning takes place in a way that women’s perspective tends to become more emotional. They can openly laugh, cry or sympathize without getting judged.
9. Women process information faster than menThere is more white matter in the brain of a woman and more gray matter in the brain of a man. Speed of transmission of all the nerve signals is increased by the white matter.
10. Women tend to avoid conflictWomen are diplomatic and always aim towards creating peace. On the other hand, men tend to be more aggressive.
Years of research have concluded the above findings. These differences help us understand the views of men and women better. It also enables us to understand the world from a different perspective.