Chennai is just another metropolitan city in India. Yes, there may be local variations in the climate or culture between these cities. Although there is nothing so unique to be understood by the people of Chennai only, just don’t call a local ‘Madrasi’ on his/her face.
1. T.NagarShopping on a Sunday evening in T.Nagar would teach you survival skills from saving your wallet from the amazingly skilled pickpockets to managing your way among the crowd to buy your clothes.
2. Marina beach. Ecr. Mahabalipuram. Pondicherry. Enough said.An evening date on the sands of Marina beach eating grilled corn on the cob or fried pakoda. Or the 50km East Coast Road stretch with view of turquoise waters. Or going to Mahabalipuram or Pondicherry.
3. HindiMost of the Chennailities won’t be able to speak in Hindi and don’t even ask them to try learning. People who can speak only Hindi expect that everyone else in India should speak Hindi and this is based on the assumption that Hindi is the national language of India and it should stand true to its name by being spoken across the country. Well, allow me to correct the facts as the Gujarat High Court has declared that India doesn’t have a national language and it doesn’t need one back in 2009 itself.
4. Chennai Super KingsOne must “Whistle podu” (do the whistle) for these yellow stars machas. CSK is always the champ here, no matter who the winner may be.
5. Political PostersIf you walk in a street for more than 100 meters without seeing the posters of Amma or Kalaignar or any political parties, you are not in Chennai and that’s truth.
6. Thalaiva, Thala and ThalapathyWho needs superheroes when we have our very own superstar Thalaiva Rajinikanth? Every coin has two sides: head and tails but in Tamil Nadu, we only know Thala Ajith and Thalapathy Vijay.
7. TrafficThe time taken to reach a destination if one starts at 8am is almost double compared to when you start at 7:30am and almost triple if you start at 9am.
8. The Draining WeatherChennai-lite: Hey.Climate is cool today.
Non Chennai-lite: Really? How much is it?
Chennai-lite: Just 35 C
9. 10 Inr Ticket For 1000 Crore MovieChennai-lite: Come on. Let’s go watch 1000 crore budget movie for just INR 10.
10. Our Free Google MapsChennai-lite: Anna, where is the NCR street?
Auto Driver: Go straight. First left and then right. You will see a Ganesh temple on your right. Go left.
Chennai-lite: Thanks anna.