Do you have a habit of peeling off fruits and vegetables before eating them and throwing away the peels? You will be surprised to know that what you think as being a waste fruit skin is actually very useful. Most of the peels are rich in vitamins and nutrients and are full of flavours. Here are a few ways in which you can use the vegetable and fruit peels.
1. Potato/ CarrotYou can actually cook and eat these without peeling. But, if you prefer to peel them off then, keep the peels and soak them in water for sometime. Make some more fries with them after draining out the water. Try making potato crisps with the potato peels.
2. WatermelonThe fleshy red part of the watermelon is all that concerns us but, do you know that you can even consume the tough exterior coat? You can make pickle with it. And it's not even that difficult. Take a slice of the coat without the fleshy bits and cook the coat on a pan with chilli powder, cinnamon, star anise, sugar, salt and lemon juice. You can store the pickle in jars for later use.
3. OrangeDry the peels. Then use it for flavouring desserts or cakes. You can even add them to your cocktails for giving the drinks a citrus touch.
4. AppleIt's recommended to have it with its skin. But again if you prefer peeling it off then use the peels for making apple jam or grind them and go for an apple flavoured drink (e.g. tea).
5. GingerDry the skin first and then, grind the skin of the ginger till it becomes fine powder. Store it and use it later in curries, tea, stocks or broths.
6. LemonHow about the tangy nimbu ka achaar with the peels? Or else like many other peels dry them, then use it for lemon flavour in various food items. You can even make candies with lemon peels.
7. MangoIts peel is rich in antioxidants. You can make smoothies with it or as usual the good old mango pickle. Dry them and make crunchy chips.
However, if in case you develop an allergy for any of the peels, it is recommended not to force yourself to consume it. It is indeed a delight to know that what we think of as normal kitchen waste can be recycled and used in so many yummy ways. Reduce food wastage by making the most of these peels.