We know the Mughals as the powerful rulers who appreciated art, literature, culture and food. Their lavish lives can be estimated from the mahals and monuments we see as archeological masterminds now. But here are a few facts you might not know about the Mughal dynasty:
1. Humayun, son of Babur was an opium addict and had a strong belief in astrology. He used to wear specific colors on specific days.
2. Aurangzeb, mostly regarded as the ruthless and heartless ruler, fell in love at first sight of Hirabai. Though he was an adamant Islam follower, he even agreed to taste wine for her.
3. Humayun died while descending the stairs of his library. He was carrying a whole bunch of books and was high on drugs.
4. Jahangir had only four wives, as compared to other rulers in Mughal history. Though he had 22 sons and 32 daughters from his four wives. Quite a number, we say!
5. The Kohinoor diamond belonged to the Mughal royalty and it was discovered in one of their peacock thrones.
6. The great ruler Akbar was believed to be dyslexic.
7. Babur was a socialite and writing enthusiast.
8. The story of Anarkali being buried alive between two walls is false as evidence of her grave and body were found.