With every new generation come many new things. There are certain entities which just get evolved over time. People’s possessions also change with time. Here are the changing status symbols.
1. Owning a homeOwning property was something that previous generations gave utmost importance. In recent times, with no time to invest in building a property, people consider this option only when they have well-established careers. Also, previously people used to prefer building houses but, often these days people buy a house and renovate it.
2. CellphonesUndoubtedly, until a couple of decades back, only the rich were those who were thought to own a cellphone or people used cellphone only out of necessity. But, these days almost every other person has a cellphone. Infact, owning the best smartphone out there is the trend now-a-days.
3. An ambitious spouseIWell, there was a time when only boys were supposed to have rewarding careers and girls were given basic education and were expected to excel in managing a house. But, in today’s world every person wants a spouse who is career-oriented and be it a man or a woman, everyone knows how to manage the household chores.
4. MarriageThis was and is still considered the most important institution in any society. But, on a good note we have moved forward from getting married by the age of 23-24 to settling down by the age of 30 and beyond. Also, themed weddings and destination weddings have become the new trend though some people still prefer the traditional wedding.
5. Changing travel plansThere was a time when you go anywhere you were supposed to bring souvenirs for all of your family members. These days people travel to get a break from their hectic lives and invest time in enjoying themselves and maybe get a gift or two.
6. Owning automobilePeople used to struggle getting a car once upon a time. But, these days working for long hours in a high paying job makes it much easier to buy a car within a few months of getting into a job.
7. Health concernsSurprisingly, just like a few generations ago, these days people are opting for a healthier lifestyle. There are some who prefer eating junk but, majority are getting back to prefer home cooked food given the increasing incidence of lifestyle diseases and the cost it takes to treat them incase one unfortunately suffers from them.
Priorities change with time. So, do status symbols. It’s great to keep up with the changes when they are for the good.