The Indian Air Force (IAF) was established in 1933. It has proved its worth in many missions. It is one of the best in the world. India still makes attempts to develop IAF into an even powerful force. Here are 10 interesting facts about Indian Air Force.
1. The Highest Achievable Rank Is That Of Marshal Of The Indian Air ForceThe only officer to have reached this rank is Arjan Singh.
2. IAf Has 60 Bases Across IndiaSpread all over the country, these bases can be grouped into 7 commands.
3. It Also Has A Base In A Foreign CountryThe only base of IAF outside India is located in Farkhor, Tajikistan.
4. It Was Engaged In A Dispute Outside The Country As A Support To The Un’s OperationIn 1960 when the 75-year rule of Belgium over Congo ended all of a sudden, the no.5 squadron was activated by IAF.
5. The Performance Of The Highest Landing Led It To Bag A World RecordA C-130J landed at a height of 16614 feet at the Daulat Beg Oldi airstrip in Ladakh. This was done by the IAF.
6. The Highest Airforce Station Of The IAF: Siachen GlacierIt is located as high as 22,000 feet.
7. Fourth Largest Strategic Air Force In The WorldOperating 33 squadrons and being professionally acclaimed have been of great advantage to the IAF.
8. The First Woman Air Marshal: Padmavathy BandopadhyayShe served as the Director General Medical Services (Air) at the Air headquarters.
9. The Only IAf Officer Who Was Awarded The Param Vir Chakra: Flying Officer Nirmal Jit Singh SekhonHe was honoured posthumously for his bravery during the Indo-Pak war of 1971.
10. About 224 Squadrons Have Been Operated By The Iaf At Its PinnacleThe IAF has 1473 strong aircraft fleet which includes helicopters, trainers and transport aircraft.
IAF is indeed the source of dignity for our nation.