We all know about the Indian Army. As important as the Indian Army are the Indian Armed Forces, Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard (ICG). The fourth armed force of the Union of India is the Indian Coast Guard. Here are 10 interesting facts about Indian Coast Guard.
1. MissionThe protection of the maritime interests of India and enforcement over the territorial waters of India, of the maritime law with jurisdiction, including exclusive economic zone and contiguous zone.
2. Anti-Smuggling OperationsThe ICG assists the customs and the other authorities in these operations.
3. They Ensure That Our Seas Are SafeThey look into it that there are no illegal activities happening in our seas.
4. The Ships Of ICG Are Very Different From Those Of The NavyAs the former uses small, fast, patrol ships and the latter uses bigger and relatively slower ships.
5. The ICG Protects The Maritime Environment TooThey take into account the preservation of the maritime environment while ensuring the prevention and control of marine pollution.
6. DocumentationThey also look into the matters of the measures of safety and security of the life and property at sea. They even collect scientific data.
7. The ICG Even Protects The FishermenThe ICG provides assistance to the fishermen especially during distress.
8. The Main Duty Of The ICG Is Patrolling The WaterIt’s the ICG’s duty to look into it while a foreign fisherman is fishing in our water.
9. The Area Under The Charge Of The Coast GuardIt is between 10 and 30 nautical miles from the shore as well as from shore to 5 nautical miles.
10. The Indian Coast Guard Academy Is Under ConstructionSo, the officers of the Coast Guard receive their training at the Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala along with the officers of the Navy.
With 1000 officers and 5200 enrolled personnel, the ICG is led by a Director General who is a Vice Admiral Rank officer on deputation from the Indian Navy. Thus, the coast guard officers deserve respect for keeping us safe all the year round.