The coastline of India is long. The Bhartiya Nausena or the Indian Navy works a lot in helping guard the country. It is as significant as the Army. Here are 10 interesting facts about Indian Navy.
1. The Service Ships Of Indian Navy Are Prefixed With INSIt stands for Indian Navy Station or Indian Navy Ship. INS Viraat is the largest aircraft carrier of the Indian Navy while the first aircraft carrier was INS Vikrant.
2. Special Operation Units Of The Indian Navy Are Feared WidelyThey are the MARCOS or Marine Commandos. They are highly efficient.
3. The Largest Of The Naval Conflicts Was Fought By ThemThe Indo-Pakistan war of 1971 experienced cruise missile strikes against land targets, carrier aircraft bombing missions and blockade. All of these were executed by the Indian Navy.
4. Ours Is One Among The Two Naval Aerobatic Teams In The Whole WorldOur country’s navy has a naval aerobatic team which is called as Saagar Pawan.
5. First Independent Operation Was In 1961It was during the liberation of Goa, against the Portuguese Navy.
6. India’s Coastal Water Is Patrolled By A Unit Of The Indian NavyIt is called ‘The Sagar Prahari Bal (SPB)’. It was formed as a result of the Mumbai attacks in 2009.
7. GSAT-7, A Multi-Brand Communication Satellite Is Used By The Indian NavyThis enables an oceangoing task force for operating far from the homeports of its country on the high seas.
8. The Current Flag Of The Indian Navy Is Quite InnovativeYou will find in it an incorporation of St. George’s Cross Design which is a part of the Union Jack.
9. A Submariner From The Indian Navy Went On A Quest To The Mt. EverestIt is the first ever Navy to have sent someone on an expedition there.
10. The Father Of Indian Navy: Chhatrapati Shivaji Raje BhosleThis is because he worked a lot towards the protection of sea trade by building a strong naval presence across the coast of Goa and Konkan.
These real life superheroes let us live peacefully by defending our seas and we are indeed proud of them.