Indians mostly migrate to the US because of the better standard of living and numerous opportunities. US culture is different than that of India’s and Indians have so far happily adjusted to the new culture. If you are planning to move to/ visit the States and are thinking the benefits that await, then, here is a list of things that can give you an idea of what you can do in the US and not in India.
1. Gulp Down The Tap WaterYou don’t need to boil it or install an aquaguard before drinking the tap water. You can directly have it. This is quite interesting.
2. Address People By Their First NameYou can even call elders by their first name which is considered disrespectful in India. In India we need to give automatic respect which is wrong because respect needs to be earned and not given just out of societal pressure.
3. Obtain Rifles EasilyThis explains the number of shooting incidents that happen in the US. Getting a semi-automatic rifle is very easy. Though for getting an automatic one you need a license and a lot of checks.
4. Peaceful Driving ExperienceThis is because almost everyone in the US follows the traffic rules. So there is no unnecessary honking. Also incase you get into an accident, it tends to get easily resolved unlike the manhandling and harassment in India.
5. DatingIt’s quite common to go on dates. In fact, parents usually prefer their children to search the one they want to marry by themselves, unlike the arrange marriage system in India. Thus, you can go on dates and get to know the other person quite well before you make the big decision.
6. No Stray Dogs On The RoadsIn India, many people avoid going on walks because of the many stray animals, especially dogs on the roads. In the US you can be assured to have a hassle free walking experience as there are no stray dogs running here and there on the streets.
7. Self dependencyThe US culture is highly individual oriented. Ours is a collective culture, which is whenever we decide to act upon something we always weigh the consequences that it will have on our friends and family. But, in the US you can just think about yourself and you are expected to be independent as soon as possible.
8. Cases Of Harassment Are LessWomen can wear anything without being stared at or you can spend quality time with your better half in public places without being ogled at. Though it would be wrong to say that nobody ever gets harassed in the US, but, as compared to India the US is relatively safe.
9. Cleanliness And InfrastructureThese both areas are so far the best in the US. The residents do their bit to maintain the hygiene in public. That’s why the roads are much cleaner. The infrastructure is well looked after.
10. Teens Work Part TimeThis is totally impossible in India. We are not allowed. Whoever does so usually hides it from her/his parents. Parents feel it is a distraction and we must only focus on our studies. They even ask if they are insufficient in providing us with all that we want and that’s the reason we want to earn. While in the US, teens from even well to do families become financially independent and strongly understand the value of money.
11. Government Chores Can Be Completed Without BribeThis is in terms of those chores that are done in the lower levels as the upper levels in both the countries are equally corrupt. But, most often in India even for small work in government offices we need to pay bribe for getting the work done.
12. Go Visit A Water Body Which Doesn’t Have Any FilthRemember the US is extremely clean. The lake and other water bodies provide a beautiful view and don’t have any dirt.
Thus, the US is comparatively much more open than India. Though India is not all that bad, but, it will definitely take some more years to have the freedom in doing certain things in our country without being judged.