2016 was quite an eventful year for India. Every sphere witnessed drastic changes. Especially, a few important developments took place in the political scenario. Here are the major political events in India in 2016.
1. DemonetizationOld Rs.500 and Rs. 1000 notes ceased to be legal tender from 9th November. This policy was enacted by the Government to get rid of corruption. This huge reform is how the year ended for the Indians. Till today the country is anxious about all the important announcements related to this drive.
2. Jayalalithaa passes awayTamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa had been hospitalized in Apollo hospitals for 72 days. She was announced as dead officially on 5th December. According to reports, she suffered a severe cardiac arrest and succumbed to it.
3. J & K CM breathed his lastMufti Mohammad Sayeed who served as the CM of J & K twice, passed away on 7th January at AIIMS, New Delhi, following multiple organ failure. He is survived by his daughter, Mehbooba Mufti who is the current CM in J & K.
4. Family feud in Samajwadi PartyThe ruling political party of Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party was caught up in family feud. The bitter dispute among its family members became public in October. Till date the dispute is continuing with no sign of rectification.
5. Rohith VemulaThe year 2016 started with the suicide of a student in University of Hyderabad, Rohith Vemula on 17th January, sparking protests and outrage in the entire country. The issue gained wide media attention with students explaining how elite educational institutions are also the place of caste-based discrimination against those belonging to the lower caste. Things turned political with several important national leaders visiting the campus in an attempt to understand and show support to the student movements. Indeed on the political front, India noticed some major events in 2016. Let’s hope 2017 is more positive for India on the political front.