Sure, the trend in Indian Movies have change but the stock stereotypes depicting women remain the same, no matter the year. Sure Indian films are trying to break stereotypes and opt for innovative characters but the progress is rather slow despite several prominent female-oriented films offering ‘meaty’ role to heroines. We honestly hope that Indian movies will think differently and get ready to usher in an era of change. Here’s 5 stereotypes that Indian Movies seriously needs to get rid of.
1. The Good GirlThe Indian audience has secretly fantasized the one and only ideal women aka the traditional girl. She is often typified as the woman who would wake up before the sun, sing bhajans, worship her husband, cook for the family and works (which is very rare unless she is depicted as a character from a very poor family).
2. The Career WomanThis bad girl is one who defies all the ‘rules of society’ and yet she has to say to hell with her career and cook him a hearty meal.
3. Item GirlWill all the Munni, Sheila and Mary please rise ? The cabaret dances has morphed into items numbers and lately the leading actresses haven taken over the job.
4. Stalk And She Is All YoursStalk the girl endlessly and by the ‘magic of love’,the girl is yours. No matter whether the girl loves that boy or not, she HAS to fall in live with him for his ‘hard work’. There have been numerous films where stalking has been justified and it’s honestly very disheartening.
5. ‘Fair And Lovely’ GirlFor the love of God, ‘fair’ is not ‘Lovely’. This is not only limited to woman as even men have to be ‘fair and handsome’(Note my sarcasm here.)I’m not even kidding.