Either it’s the legs with international shoes of the male lead walking into the office or a close up of the female lead busy painting or decorating herself from eyes, ears and the design of her clothing. Everything in Indian television has to be larger than life and it comes with background music/songs. Too much extravaganza to handle.
1. The Evolution Of Indian Television Has Been Slow And SteadyReality shows such as Big Boss and Dance shows may have created a lot of controversies but it’s evolution alright. We may have learnt that Slow and Steady always wins the race from story of tortoise and hare. But in case of Netflix and amazing international shows available to audience, perhaps fast and consistent is always winner.
2. Sure, Television Has Got Bolder But...Several years, kissing was considered taboo but now it’s happening alright.But is it leading to a progressive state? Now’s that the million dollar question.
3. That Undeniable Preference Towards Clichéd & Monotonous SagasOur Indian television serials often (read: always) revolve around the every-day ‘happening’ between the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law of the family. The audience of most Indian television series include a domination of married woman and elderly woman. And all they can relate is to what they have been through in their life (APPARENTLY).
4. Deserving Shows Don’t Often Get The Desired ResultsDespite popular preferences to melodramatic monotonous sagas, there are some shows with excellent and unique storyline. Sadly there are hardly in the limelight.
5. Sadly It’s All About The NumberIn the end of day, Indian television series mean business and what better than TRP of the show for advertisement? Several deserving and worthy shows come on-air only to be pulled off-air by the network due to its falling TRPs.
6. Women StereotypesIn this day and age, when we are fighting for women's rights and equality, what plays out on the small silver-screen portrays the female sex in poor light and it’s very disheartening. I mean seriously what the hell is the woman’s role in Indian television series?
Women in almost all of the Indian television are portrayed as homemakers with no ambitions in life. Their only apparent ambition is look behind the family and keep it together. Have the writers of the show seriously never heard about the existence of career oriented women who keep the potential of changing world notions? Oh yes, we do exist. Seriously too much stereotyping for even a woman to handle.
⚪ Look Beautiful all time and every time
Forget comfy pajamas and messy morning hair. Woman in Indian television series are always (ALWAYS!) dolled up in heavy saris and jewelry with colorful paint all over their face. Even during sleep. Thanks heaven. It’s fiction.
According to Indian Television series, falling in love and getting married is what life is all about. Forget career or friendship because we all have rich fathers, loving mother and endless budget. (I honestly hope that you realize that I am being sarcastic. If not, heads up because one of my best buds often tells me that I am bad at sarcasm.) And you will definitely have an evil twin.