2016 is almost over. It was one worthwhile leap year. Reflecting back, the world noticed some major developments. Here are some of them.
1. Donald Trump, the new U.S. PresidentUndoubtedly, the U.S. Presidential elections were something that the entire world was curious about. It concluded with Donald Trump coming into power.
2. Rio 2016, Summer OlympicsHeld in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the U.S. topped the list of the medal table, followed by Great Britain and China.
3. BrexitThe move that left the entire world stunned. Britain’s exit from the European Union. This made a lot of reforms coming into picture.
4. Zika Virus spreads across AmericaThe World Health Organization announced an outbreak of the Zika Virus in America. It is a disease that spreads through the bite of the Aedes mosquito.
5. Ties cut between Iran and Arab countriesThe diplomatic relations between Saudi Arabia and Iran ended, following the fallout due to the execution of Nimr al-Nimr.
6. Successful H-bomb test claimed by North KoreaThe biggest nuclear test was conducted by the Government of North Korea (its fifth). Numerous world leaders condemned this act.
7. Proven vaccine against Ebola virus foundThe VSV-EBOV was found to 70-100% effective against the Ebola virus. This made it the first proven vaccine against the disease.
8. Bombings in Brussels, Belgium32 people were killed and 250 were injured. The ISIL claimed responsibility for the attacks. There were three coordinated bombings.
9. Juno orbits around JupiterJuno is the spacecraft of NASA. It entered the orbit around Jupiter, thus, beginning a 20-month survey of the planet.
10. Indian demonetization moveThe Indian Government announced on 8th November that old Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 notes cease to be legal tender from 9th November 2016, in an attempt to curb black money. New Rs. 500 and Rs. 2000 notes were brought into circulation.
2016 was indeed an eventful year. It was definitely remarkable. Let’s look forward to a new year full of positive developments around the world.