After months of talks and discussions, the much awaited Reliance Jiophone has finally been launched by the chairman of the Reliance industries, Mr. Mukesh Ambani. The main purpose behind this feature phone was to bridge the digital divide that has been created by the high end smartphones which start at a price range of Rs. 3000-5000. It is also a way of bringing the 4G data connectivity to the masses by giving a tough competition to the expensive data plans of the major mobile networks. Here is everything that you must know about this ‘smart’ feature phone!
1. Model & SpecificationsIt has a 2.4 inch QVGA display, a rear camera and a microSD slot for the expansion of storage. Coming to the model, it is quite compact like any other feature phone. There is the T9 keyboard which is used as an OK and voice search button. Around this there is the 4-way navigation key, with the select keys on its sides along with the keys to send/answer calls.
2. Exceptional featuresIt has an amazing voice search option which puts it way ahead of all the other feature phones. You can simply give commands and the phone will perform the said task. Its voice capabilities were showcased by Reliance when the smartphone was asked to play the film Bahubali and AR Rahman’s Vande Mataram. Thus, you can give commands in both Hindi as well as English. 22 Indian languages are supported by it. The phone comes with many Jio apps such as Jio Chat, Jio Cinema, Jio TV, Jio Music, My Jio pre-installed alongwith a FM radio, a flashlight and a web browser. On buying the 309 pack by Jio you will be able to avail the feature called ‘Jio Phone TV cable’ by which you can cast TV shows and movies from your smartphone to the television via a cable.
3. It Is Being Given Free Of CostYes, it is priced at Rs. 0 though buyers need to make a refundable security deposit of Rs. 1500. The amount will be given back fully after 3 years incase the buyer decides to return the phone.
4. Connectivity4G VoLTE is supported by the device. For carrying out digital payments with ease, it also comes with NFC on board. A headphone jack is also on board.
5. Plans And AccessibilityFrom 15th August onwards, the Jiophone will be available for beta testing. Pre-bookings are supposed to begin from August 24 and from September 2017 the phone will be available to everybody. It will be locked to Jio’s network and will be sold with bundled Jio plans. The plans that will be offered are-
- The Jio phone TV cable plan priced at Rs. 309 lets the buyers view 3-4 hours of TV shows and movies on their television via their phone.
- The Rs. 153 plan which the phone will come bundled with will give free Jio app access, voice calls, data and SMS to the users every month, with a data limit of 500 MB per day.
- Two sachet packs are also in store, which are the Rs. 23 pack giving access to two days unlimited data and voice to the users while the Rs. 53 pack giving a week of unlimited voice and data.
- Rs. 309 and Rs. 509 packs are known as unlimited Dhan Dhana Dhan plans.
6. How To Pre-Book The Reliance JiophoneYou can pre-book the Reliance Jiophone via the MyJio app or by visiting a Jio retailer such as Reliance Digital. The phone will be available to users who pre-book it on a first come first serve basis.
Thus, Reliance Jiophone is a wonderful contemporary feature phone from the Reliance industries. It looks promising and is expected to be a success.