Do you love the smell of the earth during the rains? And the cool wind? And sipping hot coffee with rain drizzling while listening to soothing music or reading a good book? If you answered yes to all of these, then, you for sure are a lover of the monsoons. While there are those who wait for summer vacations to plan for a trip, you don’t mind packing your bags for random getaways during monsoons. To help you in deciding a place to visit during this amazing season, here is a list of best places in India that you can visit during the monsoons.
1. Lonavala, MaharashtraThe Tiger Point is a cliff top which gives a wonderful view of a stream flowing by. The Karla caves and the waterfall near Bushi dam are also a few more attractions here.
2. Munnar, KeralaGod’s own country has a beautiful place called Munnar. Attukal waterfalls, the lakes at Devikulam and Anamudi (the highest peak in the western Ghats) are a few places you can check out here.
3. Coorg, KarnatakaVisit the Pushpagiri wildlife sanctuary and go hiking at Kotebetta. Also, do visit the Jog Falls.
4. PondicherryThe serene Auroville and the calm beaches are the best attractions here. Don’t forget to try out the French delicacies.
5. Mount Abu, RajasthanThis is a beautiful hill station. Trekking and sightseeing here are the best options. Relax while boating in the lakes in the peaceful weather.
6. Cherrapunji, MeghalayaIt receives rains all year round. The best place to visit only if you love heavy rains. Try the Meghalaya tea. The unique orange flower honey is the speciality of this place. Also, the double decker tree bridges which are full of greenery.
7. Mussoorie, UttarakhandThe best time to visit this place is August. Battha and Kempty waterfalls are worth a visit and so is the Naga Devta temple.
8. Kodaikanal, Tamil NaduBerijam lake and Kodai lake (man-made lake) are definitely worth visiting. Palni hills offer a scenic view.
9. Kanyakumari, Tamil NaduIt is a 10 km stretched road leading to the killer mountain. Fairy Meadows though is a nearby valley. The road to the valley is extremely narrow.Being the southernmost tip of the Indian sub-continent, this place is the first to receive the monsoon showers. It’s a must go place in everyone’s South India trip. Don’t miss catching a glimpse of the much talked about sunrise here.
10. Darjeeling, West BengalThe monastery, the adventure sports and Rangeet valley passenger cable car are a few things you should definitely not miss out here. Don’t forget to try out the Darjeeling tea.
Do avail the discounts on hotels and flights/trains. Many travel sites offer discounts to these places during this season. Most importantly, do check out the weather forecast before visiting these places and avoid if heavy rains are being predicted. Carry all the required monsoon clothing and a few other things to help you keep warm incase you need sometimes. Undoubtedly, all of these places offer breathtaking views with lush greenery. So, do take a couple of wonderful pictures and make memories for a lifetime.