Roadways have been an important mode of transportation since time immemorial. They help in connecting one place to another. While they enable movement of goods and people from one place to another, they also sometimes act as an obstacle. Here are the 11 most dangerous roads in the world.
1. Stelvio Pass Road, ItalyIt’s a 2.7 km road on the Italian Alps. It is the most winding road.
2. Sichuan-Tibet Highway, ChinaPoor weather, rock slides and avalanches are common on this road. Moreover, it has a record of over 7500 deaths for 1,00,000 drivers.
3. The Barton Highway, AustraliaIn Australia, it is known as the worst highway.
4. Taroko Gorge Road, TaiwanLeading through cliffs and mountains are narrow paths, sharp turns and blind curves throughout the road.
5. North Yungas Road, BoliviaIt is known as the ‘Road of Death’ in Bolivia.
6. The Himalayan RoadsA network of slippery, unpaved and narrow roads.
7. Skippers Canyon Road, New ZealandThis road is narrow, winding and also slippery.
8. A726, ScotlandHead on collisions occur a lot on this road.
9. The Way to Fairy Meadows, PakistanIt is a 10 km stretched road leading to the killer mountain. Fairy Meadows though is a nearby valley. The road to the valley is extremely narrow.
10. The A682, EnglandThough it looks like an uneventful and quiet road. Hundreds of fatalities have been reported on this road in the past few years.
11. Highway 1, MexicoThere are no railing or guard rails on it. Though it has been paved with asphalt, but it winds along dangerous precipices.
Drivers have to be extra careful on these roads and be vigilant while on it. They sure make us realize that walking afterall is not that bad!